SMG Director of Sales in Cleveland, Ohio
Job Title: Director of Sales
Department: Sales and Marketing
Reports to: General Manager
FLSA: Salaried Exempt
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an immediate opening for the Director of Sales at the Cleveland Convention Center and Global Center for Health Innovation (facilities). The position oversees the development, implementation and effectiveness of overall sales plan, campaign and initiatives for the facilities and is responsible for the sales department's performance in meeting the needs of clients and achieving established sales benchmarks and goals. This position works closely with the community's stakeholders in the development of business for Cleveland and the facilities.
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develops, directs and implements comprehensive marketing plans, initiatives and campaigns and corresponding budget to sell the facilities, grow and penetrate markets, and develop and maintain maximum positive industry exposure.
- Evaluates and reports on performance and effectiveness of sales plans, campaigns, activities, and initiatives relative to benchmarks and goals and recommends corrections.
Conducts research, analysis and assesses competitive conditions in the market and keeps current with industry news and trends.
Acts as primary liaison with CVB, Hilton Hotel, and other industry stakeholders in the community.
Directs and supervises the sales staff.
Monitors, oversees and corrects the effectiveness of the sales staff in their duties particularly in responsiveness to leads and client inquiries, timely and thorough follow up, and the satisfaction of clients and local industry stakeholders.
- Recommends, implements and monitors individual and team goals for department, consistent with established benchmarks and goals.
- Prepares and presents sales forecasts, projections, occupancies, surveys, and other reports as directed.
- Keeps abreast of impact of facility pricing guidelines, rules and regulations, booking policies, license agreements and other issues effecting sales functions.
Effectively performs sales functions and develops, solicits and books own accounts with individual goals.
Represents the facility and SMG at industry regional and national tradeshows and conventions.
- Ensures department's turnover of sales accounts to Event Services is effective and efficient.
- Works cooperatively with marketing, public relations, operations and event services and all other departments in the facilities.
- Requires travel and ability to work flexible hours in addition to normal business hours.
Directly supervises Managers, Assistants or Coordinators in the Sales Department. The Director of Sales carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education, Experience and Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to meet the requirements of the primary job responsibilities.
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university in Hospitality, Management or related field required.
- Minimum of 5-10 years sales related experience required, preferably in hospitality industry.
- Must possess a strong working knowledge of the hospitality industry and the role of the facility in the community and marketplace.
- Proven ability to develop effective plans and programs for long and short term sales.
- Proven success and ability in penetrating markets and soliciting, negotiating and booking business.
- Minimum of 3 years of successful supervisory experience.
- Proven experience and ability in leading, managing and supervising, and motivating a sales team in alignment with organizational goals.
- Professional presentation and appearance.
- Ability to make effective presentations to board level executives.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong financial skills in budgeting and evaluating business/accounts.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to effectively handle and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, spreadsheet and work processing software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the primary and essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around all areas of the facility; to stand for long hours; talk and hear; ability to travel by car of air. This position may require work inside or outside of the building.
NOTE: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities,
Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled