Republic Services A/P Support Specialist in Elyria, Ohio
About Republic Services
Through our subsidiaries, we provide non-hazardous solid waste and recycling services for commercial, industrial, municipal and residential customers. Our customers come first as we strive to safely and sustainably provide reliable service through our facilities across 41 states and Puerto Rico. At Republic Services, we’re guided by five essential core values – to be Respectful, Responsible, Reliable, Resourceful, and Relentless in all we do, every day. Our highly passionate, professional team is reminded of these principles every time they see the five R’s joined together to form the Republic Services Star. It’s what makes us who we are, reminding us to keep our customers at the heart of it all.
Republic Services, Inc. was incorporated in 1996 with a “can do” spirit, driving its dramatic growth and acquisitions through the years, welcoming other organizations that share its values and fiduciary discipline. Today, Republic Services, Inc. is the second largest provider of services in the domestic non-hazardous solid waste industry, as measured by revenue as well as a Fortune 500 company, publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RSG).
Why Work with Us
We employ approximately 33,000 full-time employees and work to create and maintain an environment that attracts, develops and retains people who assure our success with customers and differentiate us from our competitors. We want to be an employer of choice for top talent. Recent recognition includes being listed on Forbes Best Large Companies in America, Ethisphere’s World’s Most Ethical Companies and Business Insider’s Most Meaningful Companies in America.
With general supervision, the Accounts Payable Support Specialist is responsible for overseeing the purchase order process from the order phase through the receiving phase, including exception handling when necessary. The Accounts Payable Support Specialist will be the primary liaison between field operations and centralized AP processing.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilitites
• Knowledge of accounts payable and purchasing functions. • Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel. • Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external customers.
• Experience with Ariba systems (or another electronic procure-to-pay system). • Associate’s degree or relevant coursework completed towards a higher level related degree. • Basic understanding of Sarbanes Oxley 404 guidelines.
• Coordinates and creates requisitions for orders for the assigned divisions.
• Understands basic accounting and ensures proper general ledger account coding for purchases.
• Coordinates with Environmental and/or Landfill Managers when creating requisitions for more complex post-collection orders. Procurement Support
• Negotiates payment terms and discounts with local vendors and proposes ideal options for payment method (check, ACH, PCard).
• Coordinates bidding and selection for local goods or services for which no preferred provider exists.
• Escalates purchasing consolidation opportunities to Procurement.
• Works with various field organization levels on their purchasing needs.
• Utilizes preferred vendors when fulfilling sourcing requests.
• Submits vendor add or change requests to Corporate and ensures all proper paperwork is attached, including certificate of insurance and W9 form. Receiving and Invoicing Exception Follow-Up
• Acts as the primary liaison between multiple divisions and centralized AP processor and follows-up on outstanding escalation items.
• Researches and resolves assigned exceptions identified during the invoice reconciliation process (IR); reconciles IRs accordingly.
• Monitors and facilitates the receiving of goods or services on a daily basis and follows-up with division personnel in a timely manner.
• Identifies error trends, researches root cause for errors and works with others in the business unit to implement preventative solutions. Accounting and Reporting Support
• Scans and sends locally received invoices to the centralized processor when necessary.
• Organizes and distributes checks that are mailed directly to the division.
• Helps monitor and manage ePro reporting.
• Assists controllers with month-end accrual and regularly reviews to clear issues and exceptions. General Management Support
• Takes responsibility to understand work assignments and takes initiative to consult management when task or assignment is unclear.
• Adheres to Company policies and procedures, including ensuring compliance with levels of authority policy.
• Serves as back up for fellow employees in the same role.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent. The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• High school diploma or GED. • Minimum of two years of related experience in an office environment that provided a general understanding of accounting and a thorough understanding of purchasing and accounts payable.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.