Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Registered Nurse (AM&CC) in Cleveland, Ohio
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1987345
Our Mission: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans". How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional nurse, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
The Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center is a 673-bed tertiary healthcare facility which provides care to over 100,000 veterans in northern Ohio. We provide care through our main medical facility at the Wade Park campus, 13 community based outpatient clinics, and 3 vet centers. The medical center has been recognized for more programs of excellence than any other Veterans Affairs Medical Center. These programs of excellence include: Open Heart Surgery, Care of the Seriously Mentally Ill, Geriatric Evaluation and Management, Substance Abuse Care, Spinal Cord Injury Care, Medical Care of the Homeless, Domiciliary Care of the Homeless, Functional Electrical Stimulation, Advance Platform Technology, Primary Care Education, and Patient-Centered Specialty Care Education. We are a teaching hospital providing a full range of patient care services to Veterans with state-of-the art technology as well as medical education and research. Our main campus in Cleveland, Ohio has a full service ER for both general acute care and psychiatric care and a comprehensive reference clinical laboratory. With us, you will find a challenging, yet rewarding career experience.
NOTE: Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by a Professional Standards Board and Compensation Panel (for physicians and dentists) in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The Louis Stokes Cleveland Veterans Affairs Medical Center is recruiting for a Registered Nurse. The Registered Nurse will function in the Access Management & Care Coordination (AM&CC;) section in Patient Care Administrative Service.The Registered Nurse duties include:
- Providing indirect nursing care to patients with complex needs as related to consult management, telephone triage.
- Collaborating with multiple departments to utilize resources effectively to provide high quality Veteran care.
- Utilizing clinical protocols, decision support tools, and appropriate resources to guide, assess, and recommend course of action.
- Implementing the nursing process to assess and identify areas for quality improvement or enhanced customer service.
- Participating in educational activities and staff meetings to improve clinical knowledge and enhance role performance and performance expectations.
- Communicating the plan of care/transfer to the patient, providers, and/or appropriate care team.
- Assisting the Program Support Assistants in collecting Veteran information to aid in Veteran care.
- Collaborating with physicians/unit Directors and Service Chiefs regarding Veteran care and unit activities.
- Applying critical thinking skills to solve clinical and administrative issues.
- Providing clinical management of all Care in the Community programs to include traditional Non-VA Care Consults, Patient Centered Community Care (PC3) and VA Choice.
- Determining clinical service assignments, timely patient communication, consult management and medical record review/retrieval.
- Serving as VA Choice Champion, to include service planning and education on the program and providing education and answers to patients regarding the program.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current, Permanent VA Employees Only
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- English Language Proficiency required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following requirements:
- Citizen of the United States.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full and unrestricted registration will meet the requirements of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in any State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia. In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active, and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience, OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience, OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience, OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience, OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience OR a Master's degree in Nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience, OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in Nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience.
- Experience in consult management.
- Experience in critical care.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software applications.
- Associate degree in Nursing with 5 years of experience, or
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing with 2-3 years of experience, or
- Master of Science in Nursing or related field with 1-2 years of experience.
In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We will not make assumptions regarding your experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically, VA Handbook 5005/27, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standards. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirement: The Physical Requirements of this position are concerned with the mental and physical ability of the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the proposed assignment and may include requisite laboratory and other screening as required by Federal regulatory agencies.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
Areas of Consideration Applicants will be considered based on the following 3 areas of consideration.
- First Area of Consideration (facility employees) Current, permanent Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center (CBOC's included), permanent employees of the Veteran Canteen Service assigned to this facility, Office of Information & Technology employees assigned to this facility, CPAC bargaining unit employees located at the Cleveland VAMC, and Virtual CBOPC bargaining unit employees under station 741 located at the Cleveland VAMC.
- Second Area of Consideration (other VA employees) Current, permanent Department of Veterans Affairs Employees (VA employees who are located at other VA medical centers, must include most recent SF-50).
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp .
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474457100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-14 to 2017-07-31
Salary: $60,732 to $112,751 / per year
Pay scale & grade: VN 00
Series: 0610 Nurse
Appointment type: Agency Employees Only
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: FZ-17-MR-1987345-BU
Control number: 474457100