Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Patient Service Assistant in Cleveland, Ohio
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1985566
Our Mission: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center is a 673-bed tertiary healthcare facility which provides care to over 100,000 veterans in northern Ohio. We provide care through our main medical facility at the Wade Park campus, 13 community based outpatient clinics, and 3 vet centers. The medical center has been recognized for more programs of excellence than any other Veterans Affairs Medical Center. These programs of excellence include: Open Heart Surgery, Care of the Seriously Mentally Ill, Geriatric Evaluation and Management, Substance Abuse Care, Spinal Cord Injury Care, Medical Care of the Homeless, Domiciliary Care of the Homeless, Functional Electrical Stimulation, Advance Platform Technology, Primary Care Education, and Patient-Centered Specialty Care Education. We are a teaching hospital providing a full range of patient care services to Veterans with state-of-the art service ER for both general acute care and psychiatric care and comprehensive reference clinical laboratory. With us, you will find a challenging, yet rewarding career experience.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply!
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
The Louis Stokes Cleveland Veterans Affairs Medical Center is recruiting for Patient Service Assistants. The Patient Service Assistants will function in Patient Care Administration Service. The Patient Service Assistant duties include:
- Receives and processes applicants for admission and outpatient treatment.
- Assists in making the determination of eligibility for benefits.
- Coordinates primary care team assignments for eligible veterans.
- Informs ineligible veterans of their right to appeal the decision.
- Completes applications for inpatient and outpatient care.
- Responds to technical questions regarding patients rights, responsibilities, and medical eligibility for care.
- Maintains control records for all deposits and disbursements.
- Provides beneficiary information to the deceased patient's next of kin.
- Coordinates the release of patient remains to funeral directors and ensures appropriate documentation accompanies the remains.
- Provides training and support to other administrative/medical staff on regulations, rules, and medical center policies outlining entitlements to benefits.
- Reconciles deposits and cash disbursements with Agent Cashier.
- Reconciles discrepancies through accounts and makes appropriate adjustments/corrections.
- Provides technical and procedural guidance and support regarding decedent affairs program.
- Prepares and reviews completion of death certificates prior to submission to the Bureau of Vital Statistics.
- Schedules burials.
- Administers disposition of the deceased patient's personal effects and funds.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm
Position Description (PD) number: 01901-A
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current, Permanent Patient Care Administrative Service Employees Only
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required.
- Occupational physical may be required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
In order to qualify for this position, you must meet the following requirements within 15 calendar days of the closing date listed on the announcement:
- Time in grade: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a General Schedule (GS) grade at any point in the last 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements. For a GS-06 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-05 level.
- Applicants must be eligible under the VA Interchange Agreement, having served continuously for at least one year in the other merit system under this interchange agreement. For more information regarding the VA Interchange Agreement please visit: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-authorities/competitive-hiring/.
- All Title 38 Veterans Canteen Service (VCS) employees must have served in their Excepted Service position for at least 90 days in order to be eligible for a position within the Competitive Service.
- Applicants who were previously selected under a Competitive Delegating Examining Unit (DEU) announcement must have served in their position for at least 90 days prior to being eligible for other positions within the Competitive Service.
In addition to the qualifications above you must also have:
GS-06 Specialized Experience: You must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is defined as experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the Patient Services Assistant position. Examples of specialized experience include, but are not limited to: Entering data into computer; verifying accuracy and completeness of information on paper, computer documents or records; operating standard office equipment (telephone, computer, fax, photocopier); compiling information; responding to inquiries or requests for information; analyzing data; and processing incoming forms, records, or other documents.
There is no educational substitution for the GS-06 level.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements of this position are sedentary. However, there may be some walking, standing, bending; carrying of light items such as paper, books, small parts; or driving an automobile, etc. There are no special physical demands required to perform the work.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp .
VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) - provides eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation and be found well-qualified (have a final rating of 90 or more before any Veteran preference points) for this vacancy. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligible is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website (http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/).
The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474120600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-13 to 2017-08-02
Salary: $38,091 to $49,522 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 06
Series: 0303 Miscellaneous Clerk And Assistant
Appointment type: Agency Employees Only
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: FZ-17-MR-1985566-BU
Control number: 474120600