Defense Finance and Accounting Service Financial Systems Specialist in Cleveland, Ohio
About the Agency
DFAS' (Defense Finance and Accounting Service) mission is to lead the DoD (Department of Defense) in finance and accounting by ensuring the delivery of efficient, exceptional quality pay and financial information. We take pride in serving the men and women who defend America. DFAS is seeking goal-oriented people who like a challenge and care about serving our country. We offer rewarding careers in finance, accounting, information systems, contracting services, human resources, clerical work and many other areas.
The following link will help you determine if you meet the eligibility to apply for this position: http://www.dfas.mil/careers/howtoapply/vacancyannouncement/appointment-eligibility.html
PLEASE NOTE: You will be considered only for those appointment eligibilities for which you select, attach supporting documentation and are found eligible.
- Serves as a senior specialist with responsibility for the daily effective operation of one or more critical financial systems including identifying problems, needed enhancements, and or system changes based.
- Analyzes data requirements for the enhancement of automated financial management systems.
- Reviews operational capabilities and provides comments and recommendations for proposed changes.
- Prepares System Change Requests and develops documentation required for configuration control board/configuration management information system overview.
- Establishes conditions and requirements for systems tests, assembles project of functional users, establishes project requirements and timetables, and provides technical advice and assistance to team members for the interpretation of system controls.
- Researches, analyzes, and resolves daily system problems related to system interface, database management, and processing cycles.
- Oversees project teams of subordinate financial systems specialists to accomplish larger scale reviews, system changes, testing and implementation, and advises supervisors and senior managers on major system issues, associated risks, functional impact, and data integrity.
- Technical subject matter expert in the following platforms: MS Access, MS Excel, Oracle, SQL.
- Leads data modeling, design efforts, and deploying information solutions.
- Acts as lead designer in data visualization activities; determining the best way to represent information.
- Identifies and models trends, correlation, and other statistical analysis for business decision making.
- Works directly with end users for requirements gathering.
- Works in collaboration with other team members to achieve end product.
- Leads the design and continuous development of reporting tools and Micro Apps.
- Designs, develops, implements and standardizes both internal and external reporting processes, which include data modeling, data collection, reporting procedures and distribution.
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current or Former Permanent Federal Employees, 30% or More Disabled Veterans, Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA) eligibles, Schedule A eligibles, Military Spouses Preference eligibles in the local area, Peace Corps eligibles, and other individuals eligible under Special Appointment Authorities
Questions? This job is open to 5 groups.
- Must be a U.S Citizen or National
- Background Investigation
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-1959)
- Suitable for federal employment
- Served 3 months after initial competitive appointment into Federal Service
- Obtain/Maintain Financial Management Certification
One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade(GS-11) within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required. Specialized experienceis defined as demonstrated knowledge of automated systems design and processing principles, techniques, policies and regulations related to finance and accounting operations; identifying, documenting and recommending financial system requirements; researching issues related to the integration of financial systems.
Education is not substitutable for specialized experience at the GS-12 grade level.
Time-in-Grade: Current or former federal employees who have held a GS position in the preceding 52 weeks, must meet the time in grade requirement. Applicant must have served 52 weeks as a GS-11or higher grade in Federal Service. Time after Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have served 3 months after latest competitive appointment in the Federal service. Background or Security Investigation: This is a Non-Critical Sensitiveposition. Employment in this position requires a background investigation which may delay your starting date. If you are selected and cannot obtain a favorable security determination within a reasonable period of time due to disclosed or undisclosed background issues, the employment offer may be withdrawn. Individuals selected for this position are required to obtain and maintain a favorable security determination to occupy a sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain eligibility to occupy a sensitive position may result in termination. For more information see the security section of Understanding Vacancy Announcements.
What To Expect Next
The occupational questionnaire and the resume that you submit will be used to assess your qualifications for the job, and to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
Review our benefits
- If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
- Moving expenses will notbe paid.
- We may use this announcement to make a temporary promotion. For some positions, the temporary promotion may be made permanent without further competition.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 120 days of the closing date.
- This position is Exemptfrom the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Travel requirement is Seldom (1-24%)..
- This position is coveredby a bargaining unit.
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives)
- This position requires you to obtain and maintain a Level 2 Certification under the DoD Financial Management (FM) Certification Program as a condition of employment. If you are selected, you will have to obtain this certification within two (2) years of your entry on duty in the position unless you are already in a position that requires a Level 2 Certification in which case you must complete the certification within the original 2-year period. Failure to become certified within the required time-frame may be grounds for removal from the position and/or from Federal service. Information about the DoD FM Certification Program is available at http://www.dfas.mil/dam/dfas/careers/pdf/DoDFMCertificationProgram.pdf.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474289900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-12 to 2017-07-26
Salary: $75,085 to $97,613 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 12
Series: 0501 Financial Administration And Program
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: CL-10023943-17
Control number: 474289900