Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Advanced Medical Support Assistant in Cleveland, Ohio
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
The Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center is a 673-bed tertiary healthcare facility which provides care to over 100,000 veterans in northern Ohio. We provide care through our main medical facility at the Wade Park campus, 13 community based outpatient clinics, and 3 vet centers. The medical center has been recognized for more programs of excellence than any other Veterans Affairs Medical Center. These programs of excellence include: Open Heart Surgery, Care of the Seriously Mentally Ill, Geriatric Evaluation and Management, Substance Abuse Care, Spinal Cord Injury Care, Medical Care of the Homeless, Domiciliary Care of the Homeless, Functional Electrical Stimulation, Advance Platform Technology, Primary Care Education, and Patient-Centered Specialty Care Education. We are a teaching hospital providing a full range of patient care services to Veterans with state-of-the art technology as well as medical education and research. Our main campus in Cleveland, Ohio has a full service ER for both general acute care and psychiatric care and a comprehensive reference clinical laboratory. With us, you will find a challenging, yet rewarding career experience.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Learn more about this agency
The Louis Stokes Cleveland Veterans Affairs Medical Center is recruiting for Advanced Medical Support Assistants. The Advanced Medical Support Assistants will function within Patient Care Administrative Service. The Advanced Medical Support Assistant duties include:
- Determining the nature of calls and either responding appropriately or directing to appropriate resource.
- Acting as a liaison between nursing staff and internal and external customers.
- Handling patient information in accordance with the Privacy Act.
- Processing transfers to other VA facilities or private hospitals.
- Processing patient information (scheduling appointments, admits, discharges, and transfers) timely and accurately utilizing proprietary software.
- Inputting no-show and cancellation information into scheduling software.
- Accurately maintaining and reviewing patients' medical record according to set procedures.
- Providing assistance, support and coverage as assigned during high volume workload or shortage of personnel.
- Effectively communicating with a diverse population of internal and external customers at all levels to achieve desired results.
Work Schedule: Shifts include Sunday through Saturday from 7:00am-3:30pm, 8:00am-4:30pm, 8:30am-5:00pm, 9:30am-6:00pm, Noon-8:30pm (mid-shift), 3:00pm-11:30pm, or 12:00am (Midnight)-8:00am with rotating holidays and weekends.
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current, Permanent VA Employees and Current, Permanent Employees of Other Federal Agencies
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- #### Job family (Series)
0679 Medical Support Assistance
Conditions of Employment
- U. S. Citizenship.
- Occupational physical may be required.
- English Language Proficiency.
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements of this position are concerned with the mental and physical ability of the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the proposed assignment and may include requisite laboratory and other screening as required by Federal regulatory agencies. This position requires light lifting up to 15lbs and the use of fingers.
Specialized Experience GS-06: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 level in the Federal service. Examples of specialized experience include, but are not limited to: scheduling, canceling, re-scheduling patient's appointments and/or consults; entering no-show information; monitoring a patient scheduling electronic wait list; preparing for clinic visits; monitoring both inpatient and outpatient appointments for areas of responsibility; verifying and updating demographics and insurance information; processing emergency and non-emergency transfers to other hospitals; performing basic eligibility, establishing clinic profiles, co-pays and preauthorization requirements for specific coverage.
References: All qualification standards can be located in VA Handbook 5005/53, Part II, Appendix G45.
In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We will not make assumptions regarding your experience.
When describing your experience please include your title, duties performed, and dates of employment (month/year).
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
Please use this Checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
The following documents are required:
- Resume (when listing previous employment please include month and year).
- Responses to the Occupational Questionnaire (If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible).
- If you are currently employed in the federal government, include your most recent SF-50 showing title, series, and grade.
- If you have previously held a higher grade and are applying based on that grade, you must provide a copy of the SF-50 showing you held the higher grade in addition to your last or most recent SF-50 indicating proof of status. Note: Your SF-50 must reflect the grade and step information equivalent to or greater than the grade lower than the position you are applying to. This may not always be your most recent SF-50. You may need to submit more than one SF-50.
- If prior military service, include all copies of your DD-214 or proof of service as well as proof of disability, if applicable.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options.
The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 2017989
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
- Benefits for federal employees
- Healthcare insurance
- Pay and leave
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
How to apply: All applicants are encouraged to apply online.
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
Note: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete. Verification is needed.
Agency contact information
VHA Cleveland VAMC Department of Veteran Affairs 05W 10701 East Blvd Cleveland, OH
Learn more about this agency
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center. .
Areas of Consideration Applicants will be considered based on the following areas of consideration.
- First Area of Consideration (facility employees) Current, permanent Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center (CBOC's included), permanent employees of the Veteran Canteen Service assigned to this facility, Office of Information & Technology employees assigned to this facility, CPAC bargaining unit employees located at the Cleveland VAMC, and Virtual CBOPC bargaining unit employees under station 741 located at the Cleveland VAMC.
- Second Area of Consideration (other VA employees) Current, permanent Department of Veterans Affairs Employees (VA employees who are located at other VA medical centers).
- Third Area of Consideration: Current, permanent employees of other Federal agencies.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) office at OPM
- Office of Equal Opportunity
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/481644200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 10/12/2017 to 11/01/2017
Salary: $38,091 to $49,522 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 06
Work schedule: Full-Time - Full Time
Appointment type: Permanent - Excepted Service Permanent